From Network World, “The 10 dumbest mistakes network managers make: Culled from Verizon Business analysis of 90 major security breaches“. I cannot say that these are THE dumbest mistakes, but definitely worth checking up on…
1. Not changing the default passwords on all network devices. Okay, this is one is indeed dumb!
2. Sharing a password across multiple network devices.
3. Failing to find SQL coding errors.
4. Misconfiguring your access control lists.
5. Allowing nonsecure remote access and management software.
6. Failing to test noncritical applications for basic vulnerabilities.
7. Not adequately protecting your servers from malware.
8. Failing to configure your routers to prohibit unwanted outbound traffic.
9. Not knowing where credit card or other critical customer data is stored.
10. Not following the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards.