Oracle announced its new Sparc T4 server and (T4-4) cluster line earlier this week touting…
- The SPARC T4 processor is 5x faster than previous incarnation
- The T4 provides a record-breaking solution that is 2.4x faster than an all-IBM solution in enterprise Java application environments and has a 20 percent performance advantage per socket across the entire configuration
- In data warehousing, Oracle’s SPARC T4-4 server delivered over 2.4x better performance per socket than the IBM Power 780 with 33 percent better price/performance
- The T4 solution delivered 5.7x more performance per socket and 2.6x better price/performance than the HP Superdome 2 with 16 Itanium processors
- The T4 solution has built-in virtualization with Oracle VM 3.0 for SPARC .
- The low-end one CPU entry level is $16K
T4 specs are here.
SearchDataCenter speculates that while customers may like the product, they are concerned about Oracle being in the systems business in general. It quotes one pundit as saying “If I were a CIO, I would be running a hundred miles in the other direction.” Indeed, while I enjoyed running a big Sun shop 6-7 years ago, I am glad I am not faced with the strategic decision of staying with the product.